For the first day of Me-Made-May, I wore a new dress.
I made this recently because the blue version of the same pattern, which I made last year, got so much wear. Oddly, it was the thing I always wanted to wear on grocery shopping day – odd because a dress is not typical shopping attire (here), but it appealed to me because it required no matching of separates and was cool and breezy, since my shopping trips finish with several hot treks up and down the stairs. This new version is similar in style to that blue dress, but I sized down (since I’ve lost the extra baby weight) and put patch pockets on the skirt. I particularly like the covered buttons, which I made to match using a set of covered buttons from my grandmother’s sewing supplies.
The fabric is a thrifted sheet, the lining used to be the lining of an old dress, and even the zipper is thrifted. So the cost probably came to about $5. Not everything I make is quite that cheap, but I’m always pleased when it happens that way!